Talk to a doctor


Get medication


Get dental health support


Get mental health support


Find a hospital


COVID testing & vaccination


Frequently asked questions

You have to file an application with your local social services office (Sozialamt) to get a treatment certificate (Behandlungsschein) which is a document that provides financial coverage for basic medical needs. If you visit a doctor, they will use this treatment certificate to bill social services office (Sozialamt) or a statutory health insurance provider (Krankenkasse). You also have the choice to pay for your treatment at the doctor’s office, but will not get reimbursed in this case.

If you visit a doctor, see above (“Is medical help free for Ukrainian refugees?”)

On this website you also have the option of booking a videocall with a doctor by paying a flat fee of 35 Euro per videocall yourself (at whatever length required).

This videocall will be free if you have a treatment certificate (Behandlungsschein). You can get this  from a social services office (Sozialamt).

If you cannot pay for this videocall or do not have a treatment certificate, Medgate offers a onetime videocall with a doctor free of charge. Please note, that this will not cover any expenses for medication.

Please only visit a hospital in case of an emergency. Otherwise, please go to a doctor first who might refer you to a hospital.

Hospital visits will be covered by the German healthcare system.

You have to file an application with a social services office (Sozialamt). There you will get a treatment certificate (Behandlungsschein) which is a document that provides financial coverage for basic medical needs.

Definitely bring your passport to identify yourself. If you are already registered, you should bring your registration documents, too. Please make sure to say that you need a Behandlungsschein.

In Germany, many medicines may only be dispensed to patients by pharmacies (Apotheke). You can get certain medicines (verschreibungspflichtige Arzneimittel) from a pharmacist only if you present a doctor’s prescription. There are also many medicines that can be bought freely without a prescription. The costs of these will not be reimbursed by the relevant government agency.

The pharmacist will inform you about how to take the medicine.

At least one pharmacy near you will be on duty at all times of the day and night.

Source: Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community

Ukrainian vaccination certificates are valid in Germany if the vaccine used has been approved in the EU. Please check this list:

Comirnaty BioNTech Manufacturing GmbH
Spikevax Moderna Biotech Spain, S.L.
Vaxzevria AstraZeneca AB, Schweden
COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen Janssen-Cilag International NV
Nuvaxovid Novavax CZ a.s.

Widespread testing is a key element of a comprehensive strategy to fight the pandemic.

According to the current ordinance on testing, all Ukrainians are entitled to at least one free rapid test (PoC test) per week, whether they are vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 or not. More information on where to get tested is available online from the Federal Ministry of Health in English, Russian and other languages.

Source: Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community

You can find a testing location here: Bundesministerium für Gesundheit | Corona-Schutzimpfung

If you become ill or have a medical emergency at night or on a weekend, you have a large network of support services available in Germany.

Important telephone numbers:

  • Emergency medical service: 112
  • Poison hotline: +49 30 19240
  • Medical on-call service: 116 117

Pharmacies also have a night and emergency service.

The following are examples of medical emergencies (medizinische Notfälle):

  • acute shortness of breath
  • acute pain in the chest
  • acute pain in the abdomen
  • acute dizziness
  • accidents and injuries
  • complications during pregnancy
  • acute mental distress
  • acute danger of suicide
  • drug-related emergency
  • allergic shock
  • loss of consciousness or coma

In these cases, you should seek immediate help by calling an ambulance (112) or by going to an emergency response center or a doctor.

Important: please contact the staff of your reception center for responsible persons and medical staff in case of emergency!

Source: Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community

If you need to see a doctor on a holiday, please call 116 117 or go to your local hospital. On holidays only some pharmacies are open. You can find open pharmacies on the internet.

You can find a hospital here: GERMAN HOSPITAL DIRECTORY

You need to a schedule a visit with an ophthalmologist (Augenarzt) or an ENT (Ear-Nose-Throat) specialist. You do not have to go to a General Practitioner (Allgemeinarzt) first. You can find an ophthalmologist (Augenarzt) in your area here: ARZTSUCHE IN DEUTSCHLAND